Coolmine RFC Masthead image
You are here:  Coolmine RFC > News Item
18.09.2011 19:21 Age: 4 yrs

Weekend Results 18-09-11

Mixed results for our 1st and 2nd XV at the weekend both competing in their first league games of the season. Our 1sts managed to secure a losing bonus point in their six point defeat while our 2nd XV got the defence of their league title off to a flying start with a four try bonus point win over Monkstown.


1st XV  9 – 12  Monkstown

This was the second meeting for both sides in Ashbrook in the space of a few weeks.  A comprehensive win for Coolmine in The Spencer Cup left the home side under no illusions and that this meeting was going to be a much closer affair.  Monkstown had the advantage of the wind on their backs for the first half.  Both sides spent the first quarter feeling each other out and neither looked threatening.  Coolmine’s first real chance came after 25 minutes, a grubber kick from Donal Crotty was followed up by David Stacey kicking the ball along the ground deep into the opposition 22 but he failed to regain possession knocking it on in the recovery.  Coolmine lost Harley Murray to the sin bin on the 31st minute judged to have had his hands in the ruck however Monkstown failed to convert the ensuing penalty.  The visitors soon took advantage winning their own lineout and pushing over for the first try of the game and the conversion putting them 0-7 ahead.  Monkstown then lost a man of their own to the sin bin evening up numbers on the pitch.  A heavy shower of rain changed conditions suddenly and lead to handling errors from both sides.  A converted penalty for Coolmine near the end of the half left them trailing by 4 points going into the break.

Monkstown began to dominate the set pieces as the match progressed preventing Coolmine from securing any sort of meaningful possession in the visitors territory .  A scrum near the Coolmine line was reset several times, Coolmine’s front three under severe pressure, Monkstown elected to reset the scrums despite 3 points being on offer under the posts and their perseverance eventually paid off with their second try despite calls for a knock on from the opposition.  Coolmine pulled back six points from two penalties narrowing the gap to 9-12 with five minutes to go.  But a converted penalty from the visitors left them some breathing space and they managed to hold out for the final whistle.




2nd XV 29 – 0 Monkstown

It was a slow start to the game as both sides felt their way into the first league match of the season. Coolmine dominated the early exchange coming close on a number of occasions to opening the scoring. Most notably a penalty kick at goal which failed to take flight from a very kickable position. Monkstown fought well up front, recycling possession and breaking the gain line. However Coolmines defence was rock solid rarely allowing Monkstown to spread the ball to their backline. We had to wait until the 20th minute of the game for the first points when Coolmine scored after some great pick and go work from the forwards sucked in the Monkstown fringe defence to allow Rory Farrell to skip in unopposed under the posts with the extra points kicked by David Fagan. Coolmine started to pile on the pressure which produced a penalty that was converted by David Fagan to give Coolmine a 10-0 lead after 23 minutes. This was quickly followed by a second try by Coolmine after quickly rucked ball resulted in a great passing move from the backs to put Rory Farrell in for his second try in a matter of minutes with the extras being converted by David Fagan. This seemed to spur Monkstown into life and some great forwards play from them was hit by outstanding defence from Coolmine before the referee called it halftime.
In the second half Monkstown upped the ante and began to make the hard yards taking the game to the Coolmine pack. However they were no match for Coolmine’s controlled defence barely breaching the Coolmine 22 meter area.  In what seemed a certain try for Monkstown after some great forwards work, 5 meters from the Coolmine try line, the ball failed to go to hand for the Monkstown backs and Rory Farrell was quickest to react gathering the ball on the wing and running the length of the field before placing the ball down for his third try of the game. The visitor’s heads appeared to drop as Coolmine found themselves in the hunt for further tries and bonus points. With 15 minutes remaining on the clock Coolmine scored their fourth try after quick thinking from Morgan Smyth allowed him to score practically unopposed with a quick tap and go when a penalty was awarded just inside the Monsktown 22. 
Coolmine pressed on looking for further scores with fantastic breaks from Connor Farrell beating three tacklers before passing the ball for a fantastic break. With moments left in the game Geoff Mullan broke down the right wing and completed what can only be described as an impossibly flamboyant flick pass which delighted the spectators and simultaneously took two Monkstown defenders out of the game for Coolmine’s wingers to break and almost score their 5th try.
The elusive fifth try managed to avoid Coolmine yet again after a missed pass from Mark Loane failed to reach Michael Grainger and went to ground in what looked like a certain scoring opportunity just seconds before the full time whistle was blown. Coolmine will be happy that the visitors failed to register on the scoreboard during this game but the Man of the Match has to go to Rory Farrell for the speed and power that he displayed in the 3 tries he scored to give Coolmine the victory in their first league game of the season.




U21’s   3 – 19 Seapoint

On a wet and windy day the game was never going to be a Barbarians affair! In the first half both teams made quite a few mistakes in a scrappy affair. Around the 10 minute mark before Coolmine were first on the score sheet with a penalty by Sean Hanlon. The home pack enjoyed total dominance at lineout time - so much so that Seapoint would avoid kicking to touch at all! Coolmine without a number of frontline backs struggled to make inroads through the physical Seapoint defence. Seapoint found the Coolmine defence napping and scored in the corner.

The second half started at break neck speed and Seapoint ran in 2 tries in quick succession to put it up to Coolmine. As the Coolmine pack started to get back into the game the defensive effort stepped up a couple of notches and there were a number of big carries from the likes of Fintan Browne, Matt Webb and Ian Kirby.  Coolmine were unlucky not to score in the corner as sustained pressure caused the referee to sin bin a Seapoint player for repeated infringements at ruck time.  The greasy ball proved a handful throughout the game and a number of handling errors broke up the game towards the end which was a fractured end to a hard fought game.




Many thanks to our sponsors The Fetherstone Group and Brasserie 15.

Photos feature action from all three matches.



To top